Author Topic: Why go IP Telephony  (Read 7200 times)

mark

Why go IP Telephony
« on: August 04, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »
For some one that is looking for  arguments on why one should go IP Telephony.

Pros: (or cons depending on how you read)

* New system cost savings - This is only on a new system
* Add, moves, changes - Minimal cost savings
* Features - ? I haven't seen many "exciting" features from an IP Telephony system yet. i.e. until recently you couldn't even do Night Switch on CCM. Cisco's IPT features =< 100. Standard PABX =<1000
* Scaleability
* Single cable

Cons:

* Large cost in upgrade (i.e. replacement handsets)
* Learning curve
* Uptime issues
* Emergency services
* Cable upgrades
* Analog services (FAX, Lift)

mark

Re: Why go IP Telephony
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 03:34:47 PM »
Here is my quick take on the subject.

Plus's
- Centralized Server based Call Processing (no need for multiple legacy PBX's at each site and paying for upgrades/features on a site by site PBX basis)

- High availablity with cluster's (Cisco CallManager subscriber's) including instant failover should you lose a CCM. You dont see PBX's doing this.

- Disaster Recovery, VOIP in general makes disaster recovery plans and procedure's easier if recovering telephony is in the project scope.

- Internal dialing, for business's that do not have the feature currently available this can be a large cost savings (user to user direct dialing across multiple sites that you currently have a data network in place)

- SRST, should a remote site lose connectivity they can still make calls via SRST. This is a pro to using a Cisco solution.

- Scalability, compare with the high cost of adding set's to a legacy PBX ie nortel, purchasing shelf's, cards etc

- Moves, add's, changes also known as MAC work can be a huge savings for business that do not currently administer their own voice network. Some vendors currently charge in excess of $100 per/hr. Also worth noting for business's that do administer their own voice network, there can be a HUGE savings in labor. The amount of time it takes to move a legacy phone vs the plug and play move on a VOIP system can add up to huge saving's quickly. You can anyone move the phone, no need to go do it yourself  The savings scale to the size of the business and the amount of MAC work done.

- Greenfield cabling costs reduced. No need to run mutiple cables per station.

- Integration. Cisco Meetingplace etc.

I would also suggest reading http://www.ciscohq.com/forums/cisco-voip-ip-communications/t-voip-top-5-myths-18.html

These are a couple of my thoughts at the moment and just the tip of the iceberg.

Myself I feel the big question is why someone is not using VOIP